3 new European WALTER events in 2009
The Wireless Alliance for Testing Experiment and Research today announced the organisation of 3 new major events to be held in Europe in the field of Ultra-Wide band (UWB) technology testing and standardisation
- A Detect And Avoid (DAA) Evaluation Event (Italy - July 2009)
- A WiMedia PHY and Platform Conformance and Interoperability testing (Italy - July 2009)
- A workshop on the contributiuon of a EU project to the standardisation process, in the case of UWB (France - October 2009)
The European WALTER and EUWB projects will organize a measurement event in order to evaluate the initial draft proposal certification procedures for the upcoming ETSI DAA UWB harmonized standard. During this event manufacturers of DAA enabled UWB devices are invited to provide devices which could at least cover some parts of the proposed procedures. Here devices only supporting the detect part would also be welcome if the needed information are available to the measurement equipment for evaluation of the detection and identification time.
The WALTER project is organizing a compliance and interop testing event for PHY and MAC (platform) implementations based on the WiMedia standard. The PHY testing is provided by onsite support of Agilent and the platform testing by onsite support of Ellisys. The testing is intended to be in compliance with corresponding WiMedia certification procedures.This event should give interested companies with implementations based on the WiMedia standard the possibility of executing the compliance and interop tests on their devices in the transition time between the activities of WiMedia and the newly started activities in the receiving SIGs (Bluetooth SIG and USB-IF).
After having worked on the project for more than one year, The WALTER Project has decided to run this workshop to present its activities and results, with the following main objectives:
- To provide an overview on the current regulatory, standardization and research status of Ultra-WideBand technology.
- To present European research activities results on UWB, including the mitigation techniques of Detect And Avoid (DAA). To describe the WALTER solutions for Testing and Measuring DAA.
- To identify the main challenges in the UWB testing and measurements, including the problem of noise.
About the WALTER project
WALTER is a project co-financed by the European Commission under the 7th framework program for RTD. Started in January 2008 it will last 2 years. Gathering 8 organisations from Europe and China, the project WALTER addresses the need for broadband testbeds by overcoming the technical issues of measuring low level, high datarate radio signals. The resulting worldwide interconnected testbeds will address the short term needs of industry and regulators but also the longer-term needs of research communities. Further information on the WALTER project is available at www.walter-uwb.eu.